• Short-term relief of occasional constipation
• Stimulant laxative
• Promotes bowel movement by direct action on the large intestine
• Includes a blend of Senna, Chinese Rhubarb, Anise, Fenugreek and Cascara Sagrada
• Now offered in a convenient vegetable capsule format
Herbolax is an herbal combination that provides short-term relief of occasional constipation. It includes the stimulant laxative senna, which promotes bowel movement by direct action on the large intestine. Senna's bioactive compounds, members of the anthraquinone family, work by regulating water reabsorption from the colon and colonic motility.1
Preclinical research suggests they decrease water reabsorption in the colon and promote electrolyte secretion into the colon to raise the fecal water content.1
By stimulating the myenteric plexus, an important nerve centre that coordinates peristalsis in the gastrointestinal tract, these compounds also increase intestinal motility.2
Collectively, these actions help produce soft stools and reduce transit time to ease bowel movements.2
In addition to providing senna, Herbolax offers other anthraquinone-containing herbs, including rhubarb and cascara, along with a blend of anise and fenugreek. Anise contains the bioactive compound anethole, while fenugreek seeds are known for their high content of mucilaginous fibre.3
1. Sandler, RB, Person, B, Raju, R. (2006) Medical Treatment of Constipation. In: Wexner, SD, Duthie, GS. (eds), Constipation. Springer, London.
2. Portalatin, M, Winstead, N. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2012; 25(1): 12-19.
3. Barnes, J, Anderson, LA, Phillipson, JD. (2007). Herbal Medicines (3rd ed.). London, UK: Pharmaceutical Press.