WHAT IS A DETOX?
A detox is exactly what it sounds likes;it is the process of removing toxins from your body. Toxins are eliminatedfrom the body via emunctories which are the organs or ducts that are involved in detoxification, i.e., liver and skin. When you do a detox you are supporting your emunctories to do this.
WHY SHOULD I DO A DETOX?
Internal and external toxins are impossible to avoid as they are found in the air we breath, the water drink, the food we eat, the paint and carpets in our homes, and many consumer products. We also create many toxins as a result of metabolism and are
exposed to toxins as a result of our environment.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DOING A DETOX?
• Feel young, look great
• Increase vitality, energy and stamina
• Reduce allergies
• Improve digestive functions
• Improve concentration, clarity and mental focus
• Increased immunity and resistance to illness
• Reduction in risk for many chronic diseases
• Weight loss
WHO SHOULD DO A DETOX?
Anyone who is experiencing any of the following, may want to consider doing a detox:
• Poor skin and skin tone
• Dark circles under the eyes
• Yellow-coated tongue
• Bitter taste in the mouth
• Premenstrual tension
• Inability to digest fats
• Loss of memory or inability to focus
• Difficulty loosing weight
HOW DOES OUR BODY DETOXIFY?
Through 7 organs and ducts:
1. The Liver converts toxic substances to a more soluble state (either fat or water soluble) so that other organs can remove the toxins from the body
2. The Kidneys take water soluble toxins that are excreted via the kidneys in urine.
3. The Lymphatic System removes toxins from the immediate cellular environment and delivers the toxins to the circulatory system
4. The circulatory system carries toxins in the blood that are eventually filtered out as blood passes through the liver
5. The colon takes fat soluble toxins that are excreted in bile, made by the liver, and incorporates this in the feces which leaves the body via the colon
6. The skin removes toxins via sweat and the scuffing off of old skin cells
7. The lungs removes toxins via exhaled air
WHAT TYPES OF DETOXES ARE THERE?
There are many different types of detoxes. Some involve just using juices, some involve changing a persons diet, some use specific diet plans and supplements or herbs to help pull toxins from the body, and for those that are too busy to change their diet, there are even detoxes that simply use homeopathic drops in some water to be taken daily.
HOW LONG DOES A DETOX TYPICALLY LAST FOR?
It depends on the detox program, but typically for 2-3 weeks.
WHAT CAN I DO DAILY TO DETOXIFY?
1. Drink plenty of clean and pure water
2. Drink warm water with a squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning and dandelion tea to help support your liver
3. Exercise regularly
4. Breath properly
5. End your showers in cold water to increase circulation
6. Eat healthy foods, especially vegetables which are low in toxins (e.g., organic produce)
7. Decrease your exposure to external toxins found in cleaning, cosmetics, skin care, and hair care products
Selene has appeared on the Steven and Chris show on CBC. Here is her show on demystifying detox:
Watch the full episode on CBC